I do not typically set new year resolutions or goals, but this year I have high expectations for myself in 2014. I also turn 30 this year so I really want to try to get myself in a place in life where I am comfortable. Here are my goals!
1. Take a family vacation. Our family has not taken a “real” week long vacation in a very long time (pre-Lucky Charm) other than trips to Maine where I grew up to visit my family, and Disney World trips (which are wonderful, but are never more than a few days!). I am really hoping to get a Disney Cruise booked this year, or go somewhere fun. We already have plans to go to a wedding in the mountains of Georgia in the fall for one of my best friends! I want another vacation in addition to this if we can make it work! Which brings me to the next goal…
2. Get our finances in order. This year has been full of financial challenges for us. After the crazy cost of adoption, my back surgery and being on disability, my weight loss surgery, and having my sister and her family live with us for many months, we have not recovered financially. I have also only been working 30 hours a week (part time) at my job since Lucky Charm was a baby. I went back full time originally, but needed to spend more time with her so I reduced my hours. This has been a huge financial strain for us, and for a while it worked, but it is not working any longer. Since workload is so light and the environment in my current job is so bad, this is part of the reason I am searching for a new career. Part of this goal is to also budget effectively, and to start using a cash envelope system. I also strive to be better at clipping coupons and shopping sales for groceries. I rarely buy anything that is not on sale when it comes to non-food items, so I really am hoping to do the same for food when it can be done. I still need to put protein first so I realize this cannot always be the priority for me.
3. Run a half marathon. This is booked, and waiting for me, now I just need to make it happen. I will make this happen. I will finish this race and not get swept!
4. Reach 175 pounds. This is a number goal. Many people do not like number goals, but I need this number goal. This is 25 pounds away from my physician’s goal weight for me, but this has always been my ideal weight. I really think that I can lose 50 pounds this year to meet this goal.
5. Take care of myself. This includes getting rest, physical exercise, eating correctly. This also includes getting a babysitter and taking a time out when it’s needed. This is also going to include making it to my doctor appointments even if a babysitter is necessary, getting regular dental cleanings, and going for a pedicure once in a while. My eyebrows could really use some help too!
6. Put the phone down. Yep, I am one of those people with my phone glued to me. I can be found mindlessly flipping through facebook, emails, news, games, photos, you name it. We have a “no phone zone” with Lucky Charm at times, and she will tell me to put it down, but my goal is to put it down and be actively participating in time with my family as much as possible. Don’t get me wrong, there are still plenty of times I play with my child, or watch a movie with my husband, but I really want to try and stop passing the time mindlessly. I would rather replace this time by picking up a book to read or anything else productive really.
7. Get in touch with Lucky Charm’s biological siblings and attempt to arrange a meeting. I feel like it is really important for her to have a relationship with them and it is my goal to try to facilitate this contact if possible. Of course if their parents decide it is not in their best interest, I must respect that but I will give it my best!
8. Find a new career direction, and start a non-profit. I am hoping to find a job that I love this year, that is no secret. What I really hope to do is figure out what it is I really want to be doing for my career and make that happen, whether it is enrolling in classes, or another degree program.
9. Blog more! Writing is therapeutic for me, and I really hope to be able to help or inspire someone else. I have been blessed reading so many other people’s blogs and I hope to do the same for someone else struggling with similar issues.
10. Be a better person. This consists of so many things that I won’t dig completely too much into it, but mostly I want to be the best person I can be. This includes elimination of curse words, doing more charity work, loving more and being more positive. I also hope to encourage others to do the same. I also strive to be a better mom and wife for my family. This includes keeping up with my household duties and spending quality time with each of them.
I am not crazy to think that I will accomplish ALL of these things in the next year, but it is my goal to work on each of them, and to roll them over to 2015 if I need to. I am going to look at this list at least weekly and be sure that I remember what I hope to accomplish and try to figure out the best way to incorporate each of these things into my daily living (if applicable).
What are your goals for this year? Are you setting goals this year that you have not before?